Advice & Tools
- Rate-my-Flat Check what the previous tenants though of a flat and landlord Recommended
- Otago Flatting Goods Facebook Page - If you need to buy or sell anything from your flats, Otago Flatting Goods is a useful community to join.
- Flatting Guide Going flatting? Read OPSA’s before looking for flats or signing a lease Recommended
- STARS Check out the quality of a flat before you sign up for it Recommended
- Flatting 101 Dept of Building & Housing’s guide to setting up a flat for the first time
- Home Energy Self Check How much is it going to cost to heat
- Powerswitch & Glimp Find the cheapest retailer for your power needs
- Glimp is one of NZ's free comparison website for broadband and power providers. Find the best deal in minutes and save on your bill
- Mouldy Flat? OPSA’s guide to getting rid of mold
- Landlord Issues? Check out your rights and responsibilities, OPSA can help you with this.
- Otepoti youth transition house - Provides homeless 16-19 year olds with a safe comfortable home to transition them into independent living
- Te Pā Tauira – Otago Village - Affordable short stays accommodation for groups and individuals in Dunedin
- https://www.roomies.co.nz/near-op-dunedin - 100% free. Users can offer and find accommodation without having to pay.
Check out the implications of fixed-term leases before signing them – you are agreeing to pay rent for the entire time, meaning you can’t move out unless the landlord agrees to break the lease. OPSA recommends periodic leases if these suit you better.
Also be aware that in joint leases all tenants are joint and severally liable – this means if a flat-mate does a runner the landlord can expect you to pay their rent. OPSA recommends room-by-room leases if that suits you better.
- TradeMe Flatmates (Dunedin) Flatmates Wanted in Dunedin
- TradeMe Flatmates (Otago) Flatmates Wanted in Otago
- TradeMe Flats (Dunedin) Property for Rent in Dunedin
- TradeMe Flats (Otago) Property for Rent in Otago
- OU Accommodation Database Find a flat or flatmate
- Easy Roommate Advertise for flats or flatmates (free)
- Dunedin Houses to Rent Facebook group
- StudentAccommodation.co.nz Rental accommodation search & Find a Flatmate
- Te Pā Tauira - Otago Polytechnic Student Village Hall of residence
- Check out the OPSA Accommodation notice-board.
Starting a Tenancy – What do you need to know when you’re starting a new tenancy? A young house which is a bit wet behind the eaves gets some helpful tips from an older house who’s been around the block.
Maintenance and Inspections – It’s important to keep rental homes healthy, but who’s responsible for keeping the property in a good condition? As this little house finds out, tenants and landlords each have a role to play.
Dealing with Disputes – Sometimes it’s difficult to see eye to eye on a problem, but talking to each other is the best way to sort it out. If that doesn’t work, Tenancy Services has other options you can try.
Rent, Bond & Bills – Confused about what needs to be paid to who at the beginning of a tenancy? A young house up to its rafters in questions about rent, bond and bills gets all the answers from his neighbour.
Ending a Tenancy – What do you need to think about when a tenancy comes to an end? One of our houses learns about how far ahead to give notice, and how to get the bond back.
Compliance & Inspection – This rental house has a tricky situation, and talking to the landlord hasn’t helped. The whole street pitches in – could it be a case for the Tenancy Services Compliance & Investigations team?
Here’s a great cook book full of delicious and cheap meals that you can cook at home or for your flat mates