OPSA offers FREE confidential Budget Advice to all OP students. It’s a great way to smooth out your finances and to help plan for leaner times ahead.
OPSA also has trained advisors who can also take you on as a client under the NZ Federation of Family Budgeting Service without you having to wait for an appointment with an external advisor
Make an appointment with an OPSA Advocate on (03) 477-6974 for more information.
Coming to study from a benefit?
Are you or your partner currently receiving a benefit from Work and Income? You need to make sure you know what your Allowance or Loan amount will be – there’s a good chance it’ll be less than your benefit. This section has information about whether your benefit can continue while you study, or whether you need to transfer to the Student Allowance or could get a Student Loan. Before you make any decisions it’s important to talk to your case manager.
Tools & Calculators
Here you will find resources to help with every stage of planning and funding study.
- Scarfie Textbooks - Dunedin forum for exchanging, selling and buying textbooks. University focused. Free to list and buy (no registration needed).
- UBS - 378 Great King St (near the Museum), 10% student discount
- Vol.1 Bookshop - 709 Great King St, Dunedin
- Bookgoblin - New Zealand on-line text-book buy and sell. Free to list and buy
- TradeMe - New Zealand on-line text-book auctions
- Better Books - USA based source of cheap new and used text books
- SCM Otago 2nd-hand text-book sale - Mid to late February, usually at the Hall of the All Saints Church on Cumberland Street. Look out for their posters or contact them here. University focused